market-farming - organic amendments - food for thought

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "nan and stewart" <stewart AT watervalley.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: organic amendments - food for thought
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:34:57 -0500

Food for thought for next winter (but i will forget by then to post this) so here it is now at the height of business!

I have just read ATTRA's publications on organic soil amendments...I happen to trust these guys ALOT when it comes to these topics.....I was so surprised to read their assessment of greensand (not worth it at all as an amendment) and blood meal (they didn't address the "mad cow" disease connection, if any, BUT they did end up evaluating it as an expensive and not very useful amendment)

for those of you, like myself, investing in long term amendments like rock phosphate and such, as well as those (me too) looking at short term fertilizers and boosters for this year's veggies and such, there is quite a bit of food for thought......kinda upset some of my preconceived notions....

they also have a great publication on soil testing companies...for this fall when you get ready to test!

you can reach them during business hours during the week (central time 8:30 - 4:30, just till noon on friday) at

1-800-346-9140

ATTRA stands for Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas

or go to web site   www.attra.org  (but not everything available can be downloaded, so worth calling for their print catalog)

they are devoted to sustainable agriculture and in a succinct but interesting way they are trying to cover complex topics for folks like us on the run and in the field!  tell 'em nan from mississippi sent you (they are mostly farmers and livestock folks themselves, so they have been there and done that)

they don't do invidual diagnosis of problems, but can offer support on any sust. ag venture on your farm or market garden that you can think up!