market-farming - Question about bioextract

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "gutierrez-lagatta" <gutierrez-lagatta AT home.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Question about bioextract
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 07:57:33 -0500

Martin,

Thanks for sharing the information on bioextract. I made one batch
and have a question. When the instructions say "closed container" do
they mean "air-tight"? I used a Rubbermade kitchen container and the
lid kept popping off which tells me lots of digestion activity is
happening, which I assume is good. I'm gettig ready to make a second
batch and want to do it right. If my mother batch was not done right
I'll start over, otherwise I'll follow the instructions and just add
10 parts water and 1 part molasses to 1 part BE and let it sit for 3
days.

Adriana Gutierrez
Birmingham

>How to make Bioextract:
1) Collect vegetable material, chop into small pieces, and put into
closed container.
2) Mix with molasses or (white or brown) sugar 1 part sugar to 3
parts
vegetable matter by weight.
(If you have BE already made up use 1/2 BE and 1/2 sugar for the
sugar portion)
3) Place weight on vegetative material in mixture to prevent floating
and close lid.
4) Allow to steep for 5-7 days at normal ambient temperature.
5) Strain off the brown water extract and store in closed container.