market-farming - Re: vole damage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: vole damage
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:18:59 -0700

From: "Nancy Haycock" <nhaycock AT dmcom.net>
Subject: [market-farming] vole damage
does anyone have any ideas for how to control the damage??

Hi Nancy, we have quite a problem with mice, rats, golphers and marmots. They especially liked to tunnel under the black plastic that was out in the field. When we removed the plastic and rototilled we eliminated a good portion of the problem. (They went to the undisturbed field above our garden). We still have the mice in the field but to a lesser extent. Areas where weeds are heavier also have several mounds of dirt where they have made a home sweet home. Elimination of the weed gets rid of the problem. They especially liked our onions last year, one day walking through the onion patch I noticed that for a good length of one row the onion leaves were buried deeply in the ground so I pulled one out - no bulb, another - same thing, got a shovel and found a rodent tunnel. You can look into a bit of info at www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7439.html#MANAGEMENT - good luck, Jacqueline