market-farming - Re: Squash bugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Squash bugs
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:13:22 -0500

I think Alex's answer is probably the only solution to squash bugs, not the
vine-borers. I have through the years tried to be diligent enough to remove
the eggs as I found them but enough always slip by to produce enough nymphs
to devour the plants anyway. Last year I had a guy who stayed with us for a
month who every morning checked the squash plants and would spray the new
hatchings with a soap spray and it was successful until he left and I didn't
get to follow up. The only other suggestions I might have are to move the
location of your plants but that needs to be a minimum of probably 500 feet
or more. We have had good luck doing that. Also, one year I had one hen
who figured out how to get into one of the fenced gardens and she did a
great job of eating the squash bugs, I don't believe the plants ever died
until frost that year. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to just put
one hen in right now but its worth a try.

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas