market-farming - fm AND DM associations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jennifer-Claire Klotz" <jcvk AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: fm AND DM associations
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:15:01

Liz,

What perfect timing! :)))

USDA is working with NAFDMA to develop a directory of farmers market and direct marketing associations. We found about 40 (in about 26 states) that have FM and DM and their primary objective. There are others that do work in the area of FM and DM but perhaps their primary objective is something like organics or sustainable agriculture.

Liz are you in NC? Let me know....?

The FM and DM directory is at the printers and I should have hard copies in 1-2 months. :) I hope to get the on-line version up and running the end of the month. (Unfortunately I am reviewing grant proposals at the moment...) The on-line version will be maintained - at the moment we are guessing we will redo the hard copy every two years.

Liz or anyone else who immediatly :) wants an electronic (.doc file) of the National Directory of Farmers Markets and Direct Marketing Associations can email me at claire.klotz AT usda.gov. I will also send out a notice to the list server when the on-line version is up. (It will have a map you can click on your state, a listing by what benefits and services they offer....etc....a little more user friendly.)

As for your other comment, this summer my coworker should also have the results of the National Survey of Farmers Markets. This would have information about the percent that are producer only, what the average market size is, and so forth. Again, I will send out a message to the list server since I don't know how close it is to being made public. In this great world of technology the on-line verion gets up one to two months before the print version!

Best regards,
Claire

http://www.ams.usda.gov/directmarketing