market-farming - Re: market-farming Recipes, Garlic, Broccoli

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming Recipes, Garlic, Broccoli
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 09:12:11 -0400

1. Recipes -- thanks! One can never have too many garlic recipes.

2. Garlic -- I've had wonderful success chopping scapes and freezing them, easy to toss into stir-fry and soup. I've also peeled and frozen garlic cloves in a mason jar. It's mushy if thawed but after a couple of minutes at room temp I can (carefully) slice or sliver it.

3. Broccoli -- maybe it's a Northeast thing, but if I even try to grow spring/summer cole crops all I do is feed flea beetles (even with Reemay). Right after I get all of my tomatoes and peppers planted (within the next two weeks), it's time to start the fall broccoli seedlings in the empty cleaned six-packs. I put them into the emptied cold frames in my shady side yard, and they get planted into the lettuce beds as those are emptied out and sprinkled lightly with rock phosphate and greensand. The lettuce was heavily mulched with nitrogen-rich compost, most of which it gobbled up. It's a rotation that works well for me.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm & Center for Sustainable Living
Corning, NY

http://www.ic.org/agrove

Dori G