market-farming - Persian Sugar-Pickled Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT snip.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Persian Sugar-Pickled Garlic
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 08:51:46 -0400

Jacqueline wrote:

>I also wish I knew the Persian Sugar Pickled Garlic recipe - can my wish
>come true - Please.

Everyone I know *loves* these pickles -- they are so popular that I use my
"culls" directly from harvesting to make the pickles -- then when the garlic
is cured, I have both that AND the pickles to serve folks.

Since making this recipe, I have peeled the cloves and not had a problem.
Folk didn't like having to remove the clove wrappers and I haven't found
that the cloves dissolve or anything. (Maybe it's for folks that grow wimpy
little softneck garlic rather than the huge hardneck garlics! ;-D). You can
also double the recipe without any difficulty.

BTW, I never knew before where the recipe originated -- I've just seen it
printed on several garlic-based websites -- nice to be able to give credit
to such an wonderful recipe.

Title: PERSIAN SUGAR-PICKLED GARLIC
Categories: Herb/spice, Relishes, Garlic
Yield: 1 servings

4 Heads garlic
2 c Red wine vinegar
2 c Water
1 c Sugar
6 Whole cloves (the spice)
2 tb Black peppercorns

Separate garlic cloves, but do not peel. Place all ingredients in a
large heavy-bottom saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook for 10 minutes,
stirring from time to time. Reduce heat to moderate and cook 5
minutes. Cool to room temperature. Transfer to a large glass or
ceramic jar large enough to hold garlic and the liquid. Tightly
seal. Refrigerate at least 1 month before serving. The garlic
improves with age for as long as 15 years.

From: "Garlic" by Janet Hazen (Chronicle Books).

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of