market-farming - goat cheese containers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "nan and stewart" <stewart AT watervalley.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: goat cheese containers
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:54:57 -0500

HELP PLEASE...
How do I package the goat cheese!!!!

Before I go ahead and settle for ordering plastic clamshell containers from Monte Packaging (you know those 1/2 pint containers that raspberries come in) for packaging SOFT goat cheese for my on-farm customers, anyone have any other sources of appropriate containers?

  Monte Packaging didn't have any thing really suitable for goat cheese marketing!  They said no one had ever asked before!

I have run out of all my little recycled yogurt containers.  I was thinking I could use the half pint plastic "clam shell" containers and line the bottom (where the holes are) with something so goat cheese wouldn't drip.

I can get a case of 360 for about $36.00, but I am not happy about using new plastic and adding to the earth's landfill masses, but do need something neat and sanitary for sake of customers.....all my goat cheese is currently of the SOFT variety so don't want to wrap it up in anything filmy.

BTW, I am selling direct to customers for $9.00/lb for cream and $11/lb for chevre (not flavored with herbs or anything)...so far everyone has no problem with price (I give them the option of filling a clean container as much as they want and it usually comes out to around $3.00 so I guess they dont' really look at the price per pound...which seems liek alot, but then I figured if i counted my labor plus all feeds, supplements, etc. to keep my goats going, it was not a bad price at all!  My husband keeps telling me to charge more...

I charge $3.00 for a quart of goat milk yogurt....still wondering if I am too low on prices......

I am the only producer in the area......

Our state allows direct sale of raw milk and cheese and stuff as long as customers come to farm, without having to build a Grade A dairy.....lucky us!

nan j.
dancing goats farm
zone 7b   north mississippi