market-farming - Re: Advertising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Advertising
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 11:32:40 -0500

The advertising discussion has brought up the issue of growing a business as
well as promoting products. Clearly, some of us are interested in long-term
growth and, perhaps, you already have a 5-year or 10-year plan to do that.
We bought a small farm property without any vision for developing a specific
business. Farmer in the Del just happened because I was between jobs,
recovering from an accident, and found gardening a motivator to get back on
my feet - literally.
The garden just kept getting bigger and I wanted some outlets to sell the
over-production. I joined a farmers' market and well, that's how I end up
where I am today.

I do not have a 5-year plan. But I have given some thought to promoting my
produce and competing with other growers. For example, I designed a
business card and used them as price tags for large craft items (wreaths).
A card display holder is always on the stand and people do take them. I
often put them in the bag. Some customers email me during the week and
pre-order produce for delivery at the market. I like knowing who I am
picking for and that it is already sold.

I try to select and grow 'different' items. I grew a variety of chiles a
few years ago - thinking the Mexican population would buy them at the
market. Didn't happen. They thought my prices were too high and, they all
grow their own -- or their cousin does. Fresh cut herbs distinguished my
offerings from all of the other FM vendors...until this year. I was the
only lettuce grower until this year. So I have some thinking to do about
the competition as well.

I used to do limited resale for other local growers. More to sell, more $
to make, right? I've decided not to do that any more. I've decided to use
the "I only sell what I grow" mantra as part of the promotion of my stand.
Some customers appreciate it and others could care less.

A marketing plan was developed by one of our FM vendors and we are using it
to develop advertising and promotion for the market as a whole. The problem
is that most members of market are not interested in being involved in
supporting promotions. There was much crying and gnashing of teeth when the
fees were raised to support advertising. Most people want to grow their
produce and bring it to the market. They are contented to let others do the
promotional work. I offered to do the monthly newsletter to our customers.
(Since we don't attach files to these emails I haven't uploaded the
newsletter but I sure would like to hear what others think about it.
Everyone seemed to like it and customers liked having a list of the vendors
and what they sell.)

At the height of the season - if we have one with this endless rain - we
will conduct a customer survey and use it for planning the 2002 market. We
are going to introduce a Harvest Festival downtown. Again, this all takes
some consistent effort and support ($) on the part of the membership.
Developing and supporting promotions takes a consistent planning and
implementation effort just as it would for any single farm.

My thought about advertising in general is that it is a necessary part of
any business. For my software training company I run a business card sized
ad in the local paper every week. It was what I could afford and it does
generate local business. I'm amazed at the customers who cut it out and put
it on the fridge. Maybe there is something to that idea of putting your
business card on a magnet. But, honestly, most of my business comes through
word-of-mouth. "My neighbor told me you could help me with this software."

The company I also work for - yes, I also have a regular job - does no
advertising at all (as far as I can tell). Virtually all of our business is
through direct personal contact and recommendation. While I couldn't tell
you what the overall earnings for the business are...I do know that the
people who work there have no complaints about their earnings. We stay
pretty busy all year long with a lot of repeat business and new clients
calling all the time.

I guess I'm trying to say that it all depends on the nature of your business
and your planning for growth and/or profitability. Farmer in the Del is
landlocked and I haven't got any plans for increasing the growing area
beyond a quarter acre for now. Don't want to and don't need to. But I do
have to make it a profitable venture - and, yes, advertising and competing
with the other local growers is part of the that plan.

Personally, I would be interested in hearing about the ways you compete or
promote your own stand at the farmers' market. Besides growing great
stuff - what kinds of things do you do to promote your own stand? Display,
layout, whatever.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL