market-farming - Re: advertising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: advertising
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:34:11 -0400

> So why is it?

"Serious" advertising takes big bucks. I think part of the resistance is
"advertising" smacks of big corporate America, which is the image I, as a
farmer, run hide and tail from. Plus there are so many variables, it's
difficult, when we're the only "employees" to also figure out which is the
best/most prudent way to market/promote/advertise our work. Even though I
know it must be done, secretly, it raises my hackles to think I must "beg"
people to buy my product, knowing full well that they would--if enough of
them knew about it--it's a never ending spiral.

As small (tiny) farmers, we're limited on resources--time, money & energy.
We ensure our crops are properly selected, planted, cultivated, fertilized,
irrigated, harvested, stored, packaged, displayed and sold. We tend our
animals just as our own children, in addition to our own families. We
nurture customers, and promote community. We are the president, vice
president, treasurer, secretary, line worker, mechanic and janitor of our
"company". In our fantasies, our farms are a "Field of Dreams"--plant it
and they will come. Our hearts and souls are in our work. When customers
do not "materialize", we take it personally--and to think we must spend MORE
money on getting customers, it's like adding insult to injury.

That said, I learned long ago to make my farm solvent, I HAD to think like a
business person. Which means advertising, promotion and marketing. Hey,
maybe we could get Kevin Costner to walk out of our "rice
patties"........sure would create a buzz in anticipation of our fall
opening! Oh...~~ Kevin...~~!!

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC