market-farming - Re: Cabbage loopers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cabbage loopers
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 12:53:17 -0400

We use row cover and that has taken care of our problem. Bt works but
you have to spray it at least weekly and get in on ALL plant surfaces.
We found this to be too time consuming. You can also hand pick them (if
you have poultry they will eat all worms happily) paper Wasps are great
cabbage looper predators as are many birds.

Mike Steinberg wrote:

> Our farm is being inundated with cabbage loopers this year. Unfortunately,
> we grow veggies that they love-cabbage, broccoli, pac choi, lettuces,
> kales, chards, etc. Anyone have any ideas as to how to deal with this
> invasion. How effective is spraying Bt on a regular basis? Are there any
> beneficials that love to munch on their squirmy little green bodies. Any
> help would be most welcome. Thanks
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to as: goodows AT infinet.com
> leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)