market-farming - Re: Making a fortune :)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mckemie AT inetport.com
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Making a fortune :)
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 08:38:56 -0500

> I chuckled when I read this. For the first two years of our CSA we had a
> fellow working with us. We "bored" the heck out of him because we we so
> "timid". He kept saying if we hired a couple people we could double or
> triple CSA membership. 100 members, ya da ya da. I said to him right now
> we basically have no payroll (one part time teenager). To hire real
> employees would add thousands of dollars per season to the expenses, plus
> increased cost of supplies. Then we'd have the actual hords to deal with

If you are properly evaluating your costs and you find an intensive
enterprise profitable, you certainly should be able to scale it up.
Assuming available land and labor and sufficient demand. Perhaps many
fail to evaluate their labor costs by failing to pay properly for
their own labor.

--
Onward! Through the Fog!
Willie