market-farming - Re: Soil Fungi Critical to Organic Success

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Soil Fungi Critical to Organic Success
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 10:03:50 -0500

> RE: Soil Fungi Critical to Organic Success
> also at: www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/may01/fungi0501.htm

> It has long been known that rotating portions of the field or garden
periodically back into sod replenishes the habitat for beneficial fungi and
helps balance soil fertility. Composts made with well decomposed shredded
bark, leaves or wood chips are very rich in beneficial fungi. Wild plants,
dandelions especially, provide an important over-wintering habitat for
dormant fungi, so they can recolonize the new crops the following season.
Biostrip intercropping and other farmscaping methods can help maintain
permanent healthy and vigorous mycorrhizae populations. As in ³Field of
Dreams², Build It and They Will Come.....

Hey! This means that my practice of leaving weeds (wild plants) to
overwinter in my garden is indeed beneficial!!!!!! (Besides cutting down on
erosion!) How about that! Thanks, Steve!

Jill