market-farming - Municipalities and Farmers' Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Terri Buchanan" <acg AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Municipalities and Farmers' Markets
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 12:12:35 -0500

I would like to hear from anyone who might have some good examples of city
or county partnerships with farmers' markets. We are approching the City of
Austin about funding for a city-centered FM and they want examples of
partnerships from around the country. Believe it or not, Austin does not
have a vital downtown FM and we believe the time is right. If you names and
phone numbers for me to call, email addresses, articles to read, ANYTHING
that I can use to advocate and educate about this project, please send those
to me.

Our first step is a "friend-raiser" in June with Deborah Madison, the
vegetarian chef and author. Her newest book which just went to the
publishers has a working titile of "Saturday Market, Sunday Brunch: How
Farmers' Markets Change the World." We have the city council attending and
hope the event starts a good dialogue.

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!

Terri Buchanan
Executive Director
Sustainable Food Center/Austin Community Gardens
512-385-0080
FAX 512-385-0082