market-farming - conference speaker names

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Susan Truxell Sauter <ssauter2 AT wvu.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: conference speaker names
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 15:05:09 -0400

Hi,

I'm trying to track down the name and contact info of a woman I kept
hearing about
last year. We want to consider asking her to speak as the keynoter at our
annual
conference which has as it's theme "economics of market farming & organic
production." Maybe you all can help me out here--she was from New England,
had recently written a book, was market gardening on a very small
acreage--1 to 5 acres???--, was very diverse in her operation, and was
bringing in an annual income of 6 figures! Does this ring a bell with
anyone? She must've been on the speaking
circuit last year because people kept asking if I had heard of her. She
might've also had a CSA in her operation, but it seems like also flowers,
value-added stuff, etc, etc.

OR if you have any ideas for keynote speakers on this subject, please
suggest away.
We are/were a very small private third-party certifier of organic farms in
West Virginia--the Mountain State Organic Growers & Buyers Association.
We're transitioning to become an educational organization--of course you
must guess why--
yup. The 'ole NOP has put us out of business.

Been lurking all winter and spring. Really have been enjoying the
conversations.
I see that things are quieting down on the list--I usually sign off for the
summer as it just gets too hectic. I have a 22 family CSA. Thanks for
keeping the list going, Liz.

Susan in zone 5 (mountains of West Virginia)

  • conference speaker names, Susan Truxell Sauter, 05/26/2001