market-farming - Re: importance of buying locally

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: importance of buying locally
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 12:54:38 +0000

On Sun, 20 May 2001 17:53:18, Jennifer Dean wrote:

I am trying to prepare a brief handout that explains the benefits of buying
locally,
eating in season, etc. to give away at farmers' markets that we coordinate
and
to include in a "Guide to Fresh, Local Produce in Central Texas".
<<<<

Hi Jennifer,

One thing to keep in mind when writing your piece is that the only benefits
likely to be considered important by shoppers at farmers' markets are benefits
which accrue to them. Play up the freshness, convenience and healthiness
of products sold.

Any copy devoted to "helping local farmers" may be counterproductive
in that it lends a tone of social project to the advertising piece.

If you want to talk up benefits to local farmers, do it by stressing that
shopping
in a Farmers' Market is a blow for personal liberty and health, out from under
the control of corporate supermarket chains. But keep it light. In fact,
you could
lead of with that kind of intro, something like

"Strike a blow for personal health and independence from corporate food
giants!
... etc."

Good luck.

jay gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming