market-farming - importance of buying locally

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jennifer Dean" <jk_dean AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: importance of buying locally
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 17:53:18

I work for the newly merged Sustainable Food Center and Austin Community Gardens in Austin, TX.  We work to ensure food security for low income families in the Austin area.  One of our focuses is to build support for local farmers by encouraging people to buy their produce at farmers' markets in instead of grocery stores.  I am trying to prepare a brief handout that explains the benefits of buying locally, eating in season, etc. to give away at farmers' markets that we coordinate and to include in a "Guide to Fresh, Local Produce in Central Texas".  I would love to hear about this "straight from the farmers mouth" or from anyone else closely connected to this topic.  Any suggestions or sources of info would be greatly appreciated.

Jen Dean
Sustainable Food Center/Austin Community Gardens
Austin, TX