market-farming - Re: Who's markets Doesn't allow reselling? I Need to Know ASAP

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Who's markets Doesn't allow reselling? I Need to Know ASAP
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:55:35 -0500

Lucy,
Our farmers' market is very small, but does not allow reselling. It is
started by our county Agricultural Tourism Association - which is a
volunteer organization of a mix of people who are dedicated to farming - its
past, its present and its future.

Part of the mission of the KCATA is to preserve and promote farming in
our very local region. One way to do that is to encourage projects that
support local farmers and growers. A farmers' market is one of the few
places where growers can sell their fresh picked produce for a fair price.
If they sell it to supermarkets, they don't get near as much.

Another goal that we in this farmers' market, and in other projects
having to do with the food system around the county, is to develop a
relationship between those who eat food and those who grow it. As has been
said many times, people don't know where their food comes from, when it is
in season, etc.etc. Nor do they know how it has been grown. By having the
growers right there at market, that relationship gets established and grows.

It is also important, I think, that people know exactly where the
garden/farm is where the food was grown, and can drive by it if they should
wish to. It is important that people be able to discuss and perhaps even
see the ways the methods used, the land, etc. There is a lot of information
about the bad things going on in the food system - farmers' markets can
highlight the good things - people to people food.

Reselling thwarts all of these goals - it displaces local growers
produce, thus helping to put them out of business, it misleads the public
and adds to the growing mistrust and lack of choice about where food comes
from, it is not as fresh, and it does not make that people to people food
relationship available.
Jill