market-farming - Re: Reselling at FMs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Reselling at FMs
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:31:23 +0000

Although I know little of farming, I know something of marketing
and have often been struck by how a little creativity applied to
the selling of your crops would not only improve your bottom
lines, but would also helps you compete against the supermarkets
and "pinhookers" who are your primary competitors

I doubt if many of you have the inclination, time or resources to
produce weekly newspaper ads of size or direct-mailed, 4-color
six-pagers of the kind used by big national supermarkets. But
think about it. These chains advertise this way because it works.

I'm not suggesting you do the same thing, only take advantage

of the means by which you sell and enhance your products in
the eyes of the consumers who buy them.

Some time ago I posted a blueprint for writing a flyer to be used
in supporting the sale of each crop you take to market. (Anyone
who wants a copy mail me off list and I will send it to you.)

Once you adopt a standard format for the flyer, the process of
using it creates a reinforcement of who you are to the shopper.
It gives the shopper a way to remember you and your farm and
have something to keep after the food is gone.

Because each flyer is crop-specific, it allows you a personal
opportunity to explain how long your product lasts once it is
taken home. As has been noted many times, most consumers
are not familiar with true seasonalities after buying unripe
produce in the supermarket out of season. As a result, they
have habits you have to advise about changing. If you tell
someone to "Handle this gently, it's ripe!" they may take it
the wrong way, but if your flyer states, "This vine-ripened
tomato was picked this morning before market because it
is perfectly ready for eating today! Best if eaten within
72 hours." You truly differentiate your product and help the
consumer learn how a perfectly ripe tomato looks and feels.
If it bruises easily, say something like, "This product needs
to be handled gently to avoid bruising." and follow your own
advice -- if they can't be stacked more than two deep, don't
put them six deep in a bag, even if it means you have to use
more bags.

As for competing against unripe tomatoes shipped thousands
of miles, that is a little easier. When the market opens its
first session, put out an empty flat or crate out with a sign
labeled

"Vine-ripened Tomatoes
worth waiting for"

and the price you plan to charge. In place of tomatoes put a
brochure stand with flyers singing the joys of your local tomato
and how they are ripening this instant waiting for the right
moment to come to market. Posting your price and information
puts pressure on the pinhookers to lower their price early which
gives your crop a natural advantage when it arrives at market.
When you bring them to market change the sign copy to

"Vine-ripened Tomatoes
the ones you've been
waiting for"

with the same price and a new flyer saying they are now here
enjoy them today for best results.

You would be amazed at the power of an empty flat with a
sign and flyers in it.

BTW, large signs with large letters, 3" and up, are typically
read from a distance, not close up. If the front of your stand
or market stall is 4' x 8' sheets of plywood with large lettering,
most people won't see or read it unless it is by the roadside
and no one is standing in front of it.

Good luck at market,

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

jgj23 AT mindspring.com

  • Re: Reselling at FMs, wiediger, 04/26/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Reselling at FMs, jay gee, 04/26/2001