market-farming - Re: tomato squeezers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tomato squeezers
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:54:41 -0400

Del hits an important point. People are educated on grocery store buying. A tomato picked in California and shipped 3000 miles to the east coast is going to be a completely different animal than a local tomato. In the case of the 3000 mile tomato, squeezing might tell you something about its health (which is going to be bad regardless), with a just picked local squeezing is vegetable abuse.

But, the customer doesn't know any better.

And speaking of 3000 mile tomatoes, last year I was out on the eastern shore of Virginia which is full of road side vegetable stand. Since I know a little about the business, I would ask questions and look around when I stopped. Even in the height of tomato season most stands were selling California tomatoes. There is something sorry about a food system were even tomatoes, during tomato season, aren't local.