market-farming - Re: strawberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: strawberries
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:16:28 -0400

> The problem with our strawberries is DEER! About two dozen of them hang
> out here - they have their own little roads throughout the farm. We're in
> the process of getting permission to kill them legally.
>
> We're going to try spraying an egg mixture this year on stuff.

Saw this problem last year in tobacco--never, in all my years of farming,
have I known deer to eat tobacco. The ag agent even came out to inspect
it--he didn't believe me. (Gave us the hibbie-jibbies to wonder if we'd
encounter one of those nicotine-laden ruminants!!!! .) Unfortunately for
the farmer, the large acreage required more help than typical garden variety
remedies---garlic/hot pepper spray, electric fencing, etc. We eventually
hit on the idea (desperation works wonders) of using grocery bags...hung on
stakes around and throughout the fields. The deer hated the rippling sound
when the breeze blew, and we salvaged the crop.

What kind of "egg" mixture will you use--a stable product, or real eggs??

Liz