market-farming - Re: market-farming digest: October 16, 2000

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: marc AT aculink.net
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market-farming digest: October 16, 2000
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 12:59:02 -0600

Rabbits r us.

We basically decided to take the plunge into rabbits after
studying it for a couple of years and out local USDA rabbit
processor pays $0.87/lb live. Harvest is 6 to 8 weeks and
it's the minimum price we have found.

The Meatrabbits@yahoogroups was reccomended and after being

on it for a while we can reccomend it as a source of
enthusiastic rabbit folks that appear to be able to fit
right in on this list server as dedicated ag people. Lots of
good advice, experience and archives.

So far it fits well into our market gardening/farm efforts
as we are placing the cages over the worm beds as other
folks have reccomended.

Our ultimate goal is to sell meat directly at the farmers
markets but the regulatory is expensive to satisfy with
reefers and all.

In the years to come maybe we'll figure it out.

Marc

  • Re: market-farming digest: October 16, 2000, marc, 04/21/2001