market-farming - goats

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: goats
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:56:25 -0700

Hi, I've seen that there is a number of goat owners on the list mabe you can send a few suggestions that I could give to our neighbour. We had a kind of sad day at the farm today - the neighbour had tethered his new goat outside and the children were sitting on the fence watching it, it managed to get away and tangle its tether - it then proceeded to jump into the well. My 4 year old came running to let me know, by the time I hauled it out of the well it had stopped breathing and its eyes were fixed. We actually managed to resuscitate by throwing its chin back and massaging its neck (like we did when we tried to get our horses to swallow pills) - it seemed that what I was doing was so lame, felt kind of helpless - then she took her first breath - we did too!!! So, to the goat owners - how do you tether your goats? I've heard some farmers prefer to put there goats in with chickens - they keep the preditors away, is this true? And for future use (hopefully
never again need to be done) how do you properly resuscitate an animal? I would have done mouth to mouth after looking at my 4 year olds eyes watering!! Jacqueline