market-farming - RE: Windy Prairie

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: marc AT aculink.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Windy Prairie
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:42:02 -0600

I figured the following post could be of interest regarding
the wind thread we've been having on and off. No expert but
have learned the VERY hard way about a few things. The
location specified is around 40 miles East of the Colorado
front range.

Marc
-----------------

Marc and/or Marcy Nameth,

Hi, my name is ___. ___ gave me your E-mail.

She indicated you might have some experience with our
Colorado weather in
regard to acceptable greenhouse design.

Specifically, I am trying to find out what modifications may
be made to a
commercial type green house, to make it more energy
efficient. My goal is an
Aquaponics system with enough nodes to provide a net income
on the order of
$50,000/year. It appears that the most economical
greenhouses /sq. foot of
area are about 30ft wide.

We are located about 30 miles east of the __ area, ....

thanks,
__

-------------------
Probably not too much help but I'll offer what I do know.

You may expect winds gusting up to 100 MPH at times. See:

http://www.aculink.net/~marc/greenhouse/greenhouse.htm

At times you may expect 40 to 60 MPH winds for several days.

Typically 20 to 45 is what can be expected during windy
spells.

Typically in fall and winter these winds exist. (monsoon
season without the rain)

Primarily winds from the west but northerners not too
uncommon. From the east and south can occur.

You are in a region that is borderline for the big snow
dumps from Albuquerque lows but they sometimes extend out
that far east. 12 to 20 inches of wet snow approximately
twice a year.

You're in the Arctic air path and may expect around two
months a year of single digit to teens at nights with day
temps around 25 to 35F.

Cold snaps to -10/-20 below are not uncommon and may last
for a week or two and occur several times - Jan & Feb. A
blessing in disguise as they kill grasshopper eggs.

Energy hints.

Block Northern winds and insulate northern exposures.

Double wall plastic with a blower is the most effective
feature.

Well fitted doors and ends.

Wood stoves or burners that use used oil seem to be a easy
way to go.

A little more effort is compost heaps with heat exchanger
recirculators through them.

A solid frame and vacuum glass is the ultimate but you are
also in a hail region.

Solar heat exchangers are cheap to build if you are a do it
yourselfer.

Anything that can fill an unused space and absorb heat in
the daytime and release it at night is essentially free.
Grow beds resting on heat absorbent 55 gallon drums painted
black and filled with liquid or whatever for example.

Your fish tanks will absorb heat and reemit.

A concrete pad should not be allowed to transmit cold from
outside into the interior.

Insulated foundation around the perimeter.

Double entry doors like a mud room.

Orientation is important. We chose to orient east and west
and insulate the rear but many growers orient north and
south.

A few things you probably already know but maybe some help?

Blessings,

Marc

  • RE: Windy Prairie, marc, 04/21/2001