market-farming - RE: Info on huckleberries?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Info on huckleberries?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:58:29 -0400

> This is kind of old, but I've been trying to remember the name of a
> solanaceous
> annual  (nightshade) that a friend grew.  It came to me today- "ground
> cherry."

Alex your probably right because as far as I know Nightshade is quite toxic,
nightshade is the bane of all machine harvested canning tomato growers, I
have seen heaped trailer loads 40' long being dumped because of a few
nightshade berries in the mix, the true huckleberry is Gaylussacia baccata, a
member of the Heath family with black berries, we have many growing wild
along the rivers in the NJ pinebarrens, they thrive on thin acid sandy wet
shady soils...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/