market-farming - Understanding the "Community Support" in Community Supported Agriculture

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin Cheney" <rpc25 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Understanding the "Community Support" in Community Supported Agriculture
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 22:47:32 -0400

Hi everyone,

I am a graduate student in the department of Rural Sociology at Cornell
University and I am doing research on CSA's as a method/mechanism for
community development. I have been working with some local CSA farms,
farmers, and members. I am exploring what the "community-supported" in
Community Supported Agriculture is in the eyes and hearts of CSA farmers
and members, both ideologically and practically.

After speaking with some of the local farmers and local agricultural
development people in the area I agree with Groh and McFadden in the book
"Farms of Tomorrow Revisited" --"Although it may seem a fine point, the
primary need is not for the farm to be supported by the community, but
rather for the community to support itself through farming." It is in this
way that I see both farmers and consumers involved in CSA's as active
participants in supporting community.

I am hoping that the people on this list would like participate in the
initial stages of my
research. I am hoping to gain a broader understanding of what "community
support" means in the context of CSAs and who better to tell me than the
people who live it? I would be very grateful to those who would like to
participate and help me better understand some of the finer points of CSA
communities.

All I am asking is for you to respond to me through email with a
listing of what you understand:

(1) the ideological and practical ways that CSA farmers practice community
support

(2) the ideological and practical ways that CSA members practice community
support

(3) are you a farmer, a member, or a CSA supporter

The information that you send me will be completely confidential and your
name and the name of your affiliated organization will not be mentioned in
my write up. Please email me if you have and questions and concerns that
you
would like to clear up before deciding if you would like to participate in
my study. I will be more than happy to provide copies of my study to
anyone interested once it is written up.

Thanks,

Robin

  • Understanding the "Community Support" in Community Supported Agriculture, Robin Cheney, 04/10/2001