market-farming - Re: ammo crates

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana Gutierrez" <gutierrez-lagatta AT home.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: ammo crates
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 03:56:12 -0500

Bill,
Yes they sound like ammo crates and yes, there are some health
concerns. They are impregnated with PCB's. I would go ahead and use
them for display boxes but first I would line them with a heavy gauge
plastic and maybe staple it in. I saw these used as planter boxes by
an "organic" (non-certified) grower. She got $60 for them planted
with 10 herbs. The top was removed and nailde to the bottom, adding
some height to the boxes.

A gun shop owner in S. Alabama bought 6,000 of these from the Anniston
army depot and sells them for $3 each. He said that they were not
going to be getting any more. Because of the PCB issue the army is
burning them instead of selling them as surplus.

Adriana, a grower temporarily without a grenhouse
Birmingham

  • Re: ammo crates, Adriana Gutierrez, 04/09/2001