market-farming - Waste Oil Handling

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "WB Carver" <wbcarver AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Waste Oil Handling
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 06:44:22 -0400

Hi Group,

As we begin to accumulate more mechanized equipment on our farm, the
issue of servicing it, and what to do with the waste oil becomes a problem.
Environmental concerns, and the new "cradle to grave" responsibility for
hazmat, are causing me to re-think my actions. Some of the things I have
done in the distant past, like using it for weed control on the edge of the
driveways, and treating the wood fences (like creosote) curl my hair at the
thought of doing now.

Our county "Recycling Center" will take a limited amount of it, but I am
even concerned about what they do with it too.

I feel we will generate enough to make it something we have to deal with
in a planned manner, but not enough to set up a holding tank and have a
recycler come get it, as I did when I had a heavy equipment business.

I am curious to hear what some of you are doing with your waste oil.

Just for fun. See if any of you can see yourselves in this. One of my
first cars, a ('59 Rambler) burned so much oil that I used to get waste oil
from the gas station and keep a 5 gallon can of it in the trunk. Fill 'er
up and check the gas. :-))

Thanks for your input,

Bill Carver
Laughing Brook Farm