market-farming - Re: market-farming OT Terminology Request

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "WB Carver" <wbcarver AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market-farming OT Terminology Request
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:05:17 -0500

NOTICE: This is a totaly frivolus e-mail that has little to do with Market
Farming. If you are short on time or have little tolerance for such things,
please hit your delete key now and return your e-mail to it's original
upright position. If you choose to read on, don't say you weren't warned.

>>On 3/28/01 Dori Green wrote:

>> would people please stop using the phrase "rule of thumb"?

>>It refers to an archaic British law referring to the size of the stick
with
which it was permissible for a man to beat his wife.

I want to thank, and commend Dori for bringing up the toothy issue of
politically correct phrases.

In the same sentiment, I would like to see such phrases as "Mind your Ps
and Qs" stricken from general use. This phrase has its roots in the old
pubs when ale was serverd in Pints and Quarts. As a tea totaler, I resent
the implication that I may be partaking of spirits. Likewise, if we have "an
ace in the hole", or "up the ante" we allude to the fact that we are
gambling. (Of course with our reliance on plants, animals, and weather to
make the farm payment, I guess we are gambling, at that.)
I was a little hesitant to "open this can of worms" because as we all know
keeping worms in a can is cruel, and they should only be kept in properly
ventilated boxes. (personaly, I prefer to keep my worms as "free-range"
worms.)
While we are on the subject of animal cruelty, there are a couple of other
phrases that should be banished as well. "Buying a pig in a poke" is not
only out-dated (when was the last time anyone you knew bought a pig in a
sack?) but also hints at mistreatment of the animal. Also, the related
"Letting the cat out of the bag" is just as bad. Imagine putting a cat in a
sack, to delude a buyer into thinking you have a pig in there. Not only is
this cruel to the cat, it is downright dishonest.
I am currently the person in the position of bringing in cash from outside
income to our farm partnership. I am not happy about this, but it is a
practical necessity at this time. So I resent terms like "bread winner",
"bringing home the bacon", etc. From now on, I think those of us in this
position, should be referred to as "OFFAL" Off Farm Financial Activity
Liaison.
As a last effort to bring a healthy atmosphere to our home environments, I
am sure those of you who have persons under the age of the majority, (we
used to call 'em children) may appreciate this. Can we PLEASE get rid of
such awful nursery rymes and chants as "Ring-Round-Rosie" (Small Pox and
burning bodies) and "Rock-a-bye Baby" (Child neglect that resulted in
injury) these are hideous and will certainly result in long term emotional
damage to these young people. (Hey, look what they did to my psyche)

You know this whole thing really "gets my Irish up." (OOPs, I bet I can't
say that either)

Disclaimer: Opinions and statements made here are my own, and nobody else's
(unless you agree) and should in no way reflect on the other people on this
list, anyone connected with it, Market Farmers, or just about anybody else.
I also reserve the right to change my tune if it becomes uncomfortable or
the winds shift.
This was meant to be humorous. Any similarity to persons currently alive
or in the state of non-livingness, is purely coincidental. No animals were
harmed in any way in the making of this e-mail. (However a few brain cells
were severely mistreated in the reading of it)

Y'all have a nice day.

Bill Carver
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield, NC