market-farming - crop rotation by "sections"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Julie M. Willingham" <farm2gates AT excite.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: crop rotation by "sections"
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:09:34 -0800 (PST)

Does anybody use Eliot Coleman's "New Organic Grower" method of crop
rotation; that is, dividing your farm into areas that grow specific crop
families on a rotating basis? Or do you have a different idea?

We can irrigate about 12 acres (maybe less this year!) but so far have
planted only about 2 acres with up to 30 different crops. It is driving me
crazy keeping track of where exactly I had some crop in what year so I can
have 3-4 years rotation between similar crops. Other than making good sense,
my state organic certification agency likes this info.

I have though about using EC's method, but never actually done it. My plan
is to divide the irrigable land into eight 1 acre sections, one for each of
EC's crop groups. I may use only 1/4 or 1/2 or 1/20 of that acre to grow
crops for harvest, and the rest will have a cover crop. Then I will be able
to rotate crop groups from one section to the next on an annual basis.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Julie M. Willingham
The Farm of Two Gates
zone 6b in the low, dry, hot part of Washington

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/