market-farming - Re: Pig Weed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HMSTDFRMS AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Pig Weed
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 09:19:18 EST

Rich,
As with all annual weeds, if you stale bed the plot for several weeks before
planting, it will help considerably. Stale bedding means that you let the
weeds germinate. When they are less than an inch high, cultivate them just
below the soil surface, and let them germinate again. Turn under and plant.
Did you know that pig weed is very good to eat? It's in the amaranth family
and is quite nutritious. Pick it young and steam, or mix small leaves into a
mesclun mixture. I used to have an old neighbor friend from Italy who came
over every spring to pick all of my "red root".
Linda

  • Pig Weed, pfarms, 03/24/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Pig Weed, HMSTDFRMS, 03/24/2001
    • Re: Pig Weed, Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai, 03/25/2001
    • Re: Pig Weed, Joan Vibert, 03/25/2001
    • Re: Pig Weed, Jill Taylor Bussiere, 03/25/2001