market-farming - Off-topic Any E-mail programs other than Eudora or Outlook?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: Sanet post <sanet-mg AT sare.org>, market-farming post <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, CSA-l post <csa-l AT prairienet.org>
  • Subject: Off-topic Any E-mail programs other than Eudora or Outlook?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:28:16 -0800

Hi Folks,

So am I the only one who reads licensing agreements before clicking?

After taking the better part of an hour and an half to download the program, installer, and the manual in PDF format, (ok, I live in a rural area my 56K modem gets 24.6, i.e., P.O.T.S.) I was in for an unexpected and ugly surprise.

Enamored by the potential of Eudora 5.0 to share and sync/date files via e-mail, I got on Qualcomm's website. There they offer a "sponsored" version for free. As I own a copy of Eudora, albeit in sanskrit, I wanted to upgrade rather than put up with their ads and personal data surveys. I dropped their customer support unit a note asking how to do that.

Here's the reply I received:

>Thank you for contacting Eudora,
>
>You can download Eudora 5.0 from the following site:
>http://eudora-survey.qualcomm.com/live/download
>It will install in Sponsored Mode. After it is installed, please go to

>Help, Payment and Registration, and click on Paid mode. This will take you
>to our purchasing page where you may purchase Eudora 5.0 in Paid mode for
>39.95.
>
>Sincerely,
>Gerry
>Eudora Product Support

Note the Product Support person uses the term "purchase."

Here's and excerpt from the licensing agreement. Emphasis mine

EUDORA VERSION 5.0 SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

QUALCOMM INCORPORATED ("QUALCOMM") IS WILLING TO LICENSE VERSION 5.0 OF ITS EUDORA® SOFTWARE AND THE ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTATION (THE "SOFTWARE") TO YOU ONLY ON THE CONDITION THAT YOU ACCEPT ALL OF THE TERMS IN THIS AGREEMENT. PLEASE READ THE TERMS CAREFULLY. BY CLICKING ON THE "YES" BUTTON BELOW YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS AGREEMENT, UNDERSTAND IT AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ITS TERMS AND CONDITIONS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS, QUALCOMM IS UNWILLING TO LICENSE THE SOFTWARE TO YOU. YOU SHOULD CLICK ON THE "NO" BUTTON TO DISCONTINUE THE INSTALLATION PROCESS.

THE SOFTWARE IS AVAILABLE IN 3 MODES: LIGHT MODE (no cost; reduced set of features available), SPONSORED MODE (no cost; full feature set with sponsor window) AND
PAID MODE (annual subscription fee; full feature set without sponsor window). TO USE THE SPONSORED MODE VERSION OF THE SOFTWARE, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE A PROFILE QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER A TRIAL PERIOD. PLEASE NOTE THAT EUDORA'S PRIVACY POLICY (http://www.eudora.com/privacy) GOVERNS QUALCOMM'S USE OF PROFILE INFORMATION. IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO COMPLETE THE PROFILE QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER THE TERMINATION OF THE TRIAL PERIOD, YOUR COPY OF EUDORA WILL REVERT TO LIGHT MODE. IN THE EVENT QUALCOMM RELEASES NEW VERSIONS OF THE SOFTWARE, SUCH NEW VERSIONS OF THE SOFTWARE IN SPONSORED MODE WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE AT WWW.EUDORA.COM AT NO CHARGE. REGISTERED USERS OF THE SOFTWARE IN PAID MODE ARE ENTITLED, AT NO CHARGE, TO DOWNLOAD NEW VERSIONS OF THE SOFTWARE IN PAID MODE RELEASED DURING THE 12-MONTH PERIOD FOLLOWING THE DATE OF REGISTRATION OF THE SOFTWARE (THE “SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD”). THE SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD MAY BE RENEWED UPON PAYMENT OF THE ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION FEE.

Note this is now a SUBSCRIPTION. Purchasing a copy for personal use is no longer an option.

Like GMOs this is the first of a very bad trend. Microsoft started bantering this about last year, but it looks like ol' Qualcomm beat them to the punch. Intuit's website has wonderful new web-based software where you can store your personal financial and accounting data or databases on their servers. They promise they won't peek.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good private, non-web-based e-mail or integrated contact manager program with e-mail capacity that isn't Eudora or Outlook?

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle
Auburn, CA