market-farming - Re: Off-topic Any E-mail programs other than Eudora or Outlook?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Off-topic Any E-mail programs other than Eudora or Outlook?
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:17:40 -0600

Marcie,

I think that Qualcomm's approach here is almost a foregone conclusion in the future of software.  Companies are very well aware of the staggering amount of pirated software on computers.  By offering subscription services, companies expect to alleviate their financial losses from stolen software.  It's their property.  If you don't want to have the option of no advertising you don't have to buy it.  Simple as that.  It's coming to other software those.  It is likely that Microsoft will start doing this with programs like Office.  It is unlikely that it will ever occur with Outlook, Outlook Express or Netscape, I would guess.

I think the same thing - in a way - about our satellite dish.  It is much more costly than an antenna.  On the other hand, I rarely watch programming with commercials.  In fact, I can't get network television on the dish without paying for it and I don't miss it at all.  The point is that my TV subscription service isn't a whole lot different.  I could watch 'free' TV and deal with all those annoying commercials on the major networks (and on PBS these days).  When I watch television, I like to watch a program - not the commercials.

Anyway, what are your needs for software?  Have you looked at Netscape?

Del