market-farming - drift

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: drift
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:39:18 -0600

> don't be too confident about your sumac barrier.
>
> Chuck Henkel
And what really bothers me about this drift issue, is that the person
applying the chemical sprays is not liable for damages in most areas. Here,
when a significant portion of a field grown mum crop was damaged by
Glyphosate drift, the extension folks were quick to say, yes, that looks
like Roundup damage (after all, it was only flowers), until they learned how
much the "flowers" were worth (a lot more per acre than the marginal soybean
crop planted), then had tests done, and came up with a disease not even
found in field grown mums - even though you could trace the drift from the
damage in the fence row. It was a tomato susceptible disease, we planted
tomatoes in the bare spots - guess what ? no disease. No way to win. We
have to certify we use no chemicals,but they don't have to label with the
chemical cocktails used, we are responsible for drift of chemicals from
careless applicators, but they aren't responsible for the damage. Money is
the bottom line, and sustag/organic farmers don't buy into the agribusiness
money machine much, and therefore don't matter to a majority of the
entrenched bureaucrats.

Alison Weidiger

Alison Wiediger, Technician
Hart County Schools
awiediger AT hart.k12.ky.us

  • drift, Wiediger, Alison, 03/14/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: drift, Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai, 03/14/2001
    • Re: drift, Del Williams, 03/14/2001
    • Re: drift, Marie Kamphefner, 03/14/2001