market-farming - Re: Roadside stand

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Roadside stand
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:24:43 -0600

Hey Phil and list,

The Amish near here sell stuff in their front driveway and they're on a busy highway. That's all they do I think - they don't even have to take stuff to a market. They sell lots and lots of plants from their greenhouse and I see they've built another greenhouse to handle the demand. It looks like they're using wood furnace things to heat with. I bought some plants from them and they were the best I had last year. They have wagons and tables parked under trees and don't use refrigeration. They usually sell out of everything. You could try it and see what happens. It might take awhile for word to get around about your stand but I think it's worth a try.

Don't give up yet! It's 55 degrees here and wind blowing a gale. We got most of the gardens here fall plowed and the good ol' black dirt is dry on the tops. If the wind weren't blowing so hard, I would go out and plant some lettuce and spinach, but at least it's helping dry things out. I unstacked the cold frames and found the old storm windows we use on them and washed them. The last of the snow and ice is melted.

Took a stroll around this morning to check strawberries and some of them have heaved in spite of the mulch. The garlic we planted is mostly setting on top of the ground. I think I'll get out the little red wagon, shovel some dry dirt into it and go put it on top of the cloves. Where the garlic is, the soil is too wet to mess with.

The camper shell has been on the ground just about all winter. The grass under it is lush and green. I think I'll go try to move it and give the chickens a treat.

So far, I've stolen 10 eggs out of the goose nest. I think I'll put them in the incubator this afternoon. There are four hen geese and I just know there are more nests hidden. I'll have to watch them closer. We're going to have to have lots of help weeding strawberries from the geese this year.

We've located a transplanter from someone on this list in Indiana and going to try to go get it soon. There really was a transplanter with my name on it somewhere! I'll be so happy to have that.

Still don't have the hoop house all together. ARRRGGHH! But, we did manage to catch all the roosters and put them in one pen. Looks like we've got 20 chicken dinners coming our way this year. Egg production has really increased since all but one rooster are confined. Now we need to find a cheap refrigerator to put them in! The egg license is on its way from Jefferson City. We found wholesale egg cartons in Kansas City and got 250 of them.

I've started taking pictures for visual tools to help with my (o word) gardening presentation to the master gardeners. I had a nightmare that I got to the meeting and had forgotten my pictures and notes and couldn't think of anything to say. eek!

That's the way it is here in north central Missouri.

Marie

  • Roadside stand, HackettShark, 03/13/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Roadside stand, Marie Kamphefner, 03/13/2001
    • Re: Roadside stand, Jill Taylor Bussiere, 03/13/2001