market-farming - Roadside Stands

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kathy Somers" <SomersFarm AT kingcon.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Roadside Stands
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:56:24 -0500

Hi Phil,
I carry a full line of products.  We live in a pretty rural place, but still our stand is busy.  It is a challenge to keep things like lettuces, spinich and chard cold.  The cheapest (but probably the most time consuming )system we have is to keep coolers with at a minimum 3 reusable ice packs, filled with the most perishable veggies.  (mostly the greens).  We label each cooler with it's contents and we pick all of the greens fresh several times a day to keep the coolers refilled.  Our customers don't seem to mind the inconvenience of getting things out of the coolers.  I think they are just happy to have fresh unwilted produce.  I have often wondered how those who go to market keep all of their stuff looking fresh and not wilty by the end of the day.  It would be idal, but not feasable to have a glassed in cooler where all the greens and highly perishable veggies could be kept out where they would be easily seen.

I would also love to hear some suggestions from other roadside stand people and from the farmers market people on how they keep thier produce fresh.

Kathy in Vermont

  • Roadside Stands, Kathy Somers, 03/13/2001