market-farming - Tomato Temp inquiry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Van Weldon" <woodduckfarm AT ev1.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Tomato Temp inquiry
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 06:44:21 -0600

This is my first note on the market farming list serve. I have just bumped up a little under 200 tomato plants from 125 cell trays to 4" pots. The tomatoes comprise of 32 different heirloom type varieties. The weather guys have been pretty bad around here in SE Texas this winter so why should last night be any different. In any event, I was under the impression that tomato seedlings don't like it fewer than 60F. Well the weatherman said expect a low of 59 and it got down to 45 last night. The plants look fine, but curious what some of you other produce growers have found about tomatoes and sub 60F temps. It is my understanding that some cut flowers actually have stunted growth when ground temps. are too cool.

Thanks,

Van

zn8 Texas

  • Tomato Temp inquiry, Van Weldon, 03/13/2001