market-farming - Re: market-farming Where Did Everyone Go

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming Where Did Everyone Go
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:00:37 -0500

Pretty busy here dealing with 3-foot drifted snow, busted water line to the barn, unemployment, and tenant-caretakers who elected to rent a truck and move back to Kansas City with less than 24 hours' notice after I pointed out that their rent and utility deficit had exceeded $2000 and we had to talk about what we were going to do to reverse that pattern. They never did fix any of the windows they had broken while they were here.

I separated my left elbow hauling water to the barn but it'll heal eventually if I'm careful with it. There's oil in the tank so not being able to haul firewood is a nuisance rather than a disaster.

But taking on the bottle feeding of two nursemare farm foal rescues is going to have to wait. It breaks my heart but darn it, there will be more of those babies next year and maybe I'll have some help then. I already took on the pony and the puppy and the two pregnant pygmies thinking that these folks were going to be here helping.

I did manage to save a neighbor's new goat kid last week -- he's new at this breeding business and didn't know about dipping umbilical cords or slipping the new baby into a "kid glove" coat to keep it warm. He'd lost one the week before; the young first-time mom pushed it out of the stall onto the cold concrete.

My own guys are holding their own even if the barn needs some serious cleaning because I'm giving the elbow a rest. I'll probably just rent a Bobcat for a day or two this spring. The roof is nice and high and there's a deep dry bed of wasted hay.

Believe it or not, I'm still willing to consider taking on housemates and even eventual farm partners. But no more free riders. On that one I've learned my lesson -- finally!

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm
Corning, NY

http://www.ic.org/agrove/index.htm