market-farming - Re:tractor turn radius

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Julie M. Willingham" <farm2gates AT excite.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re:tractor turn radius
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 08:43:52 -0800 (PST)

Peter,

We have a 55 hp Landini 6060 (made by Massey Ferguson but blue, not red, and
much cheaper) for use on 22 acres, and it has a decent turn radius. (Yes,
your definition of turn radius is correct.) But the hydrostatic steering is
awkward for us because we farm on a sand dune with mild ups and downs, and
the tractor tends to get "sucked" down the course of least resistance. Other
than that, it is great.

We also bought a demo Celli reciprocating spader from the tractor dealer,
and it is our most used piece of equipment. When we get done spading, we
just drive back across the spaded area (where we think the wheel tracks
were) and create "lowered paths". For many crops the spader works well as a
bed shaper, but for some other crops we have to pull the packer across them
to firm the bed.

However, the spader doesn't incorporate vegetative matter--weeds or cover
crop--without disking or mowing them first, even though it does a wonderful
job of incorporating compost, fertilizer, etc.

Julie M. Willingham
The Farm of Two Gates
zone 6b in the low, dry, hot part of Washington

> Subject: Tractor turning radius
> From: Peter Worsley <pwors AT svn.net>

> I'm considering purchasing my first-ever tractor. Eventually, I >need to
use a tiller or small spader <snip>

> Turning radius- what is that, exactly? I assume that if you turn the
steering wheel all the way, the imprint of the outside tires will >make a
circle in the dirt the radius of which equals the turning >radius of the
tractor. Right? <snip>

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

  • Re:tractor turn radius, Julie M. Willingham, 03/05/2001