market-farming - Tractor turning radius

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Peter Worsley <pwors AT svn.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Tractor turning radius
  • Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 19:33:38 -0800

I'm considering purchasing my first-ever tractor. Eventually, I need to
use a tiller or small spader, a rear scraper with ripping chisels, a
front loader, a post hole auger, a flail mower, and some kind of
implement for shaping raised beds. For now the loader, tiller, scraper,
and bed shaper will suffice. I have many questions and would appreciate
advice, price info, etc. I'd like to get a new machine if I can find one
that will meet my needs and that I can afford. Here are the brands I've
considered so far:

John Deere
Kubota
Antonio Carraro (sold by Ferrari tractor, in Gridlet, CA, which is near
me.) I've talked to the owner, but not seen the product. My impression
is that these tractors are compact, maneuverable, and versatile. I
believe they are articulated, which I think means that they have a
tighter turning radius.

Turning radius- what is that, exactly? I assume that if you turn the
steering wheel all the way, the imprint of the outside tires will make a
circle in the dirt the radius of which equals the turning radius of the
tractor. Right?

What about the bed shaper? What about simply a toolbar with blades
bolted to it so that earth is drawn up to form a raised bed slightly
less than the width between the inside of the tractors? Is this too
low-tech? I'd like to be able to hill potatoes this way, too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions- Peter