market-farming - RE: staking tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "William McKay" <bmckay55 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: staking tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 03:48:31

The honduran pine posts work great. They are also incredibly cheap_@ 25 cents each if you buy a pallet. The only problem is that they are treated with cca, I believe, so they will not work for organic growers. They sure do last a long time, however.

Bill McKay in E. Massachusetts
http://members.nbci.com/seeds_from_italy/main.htm Importer and seller of Italian vegetable seeds from Franchi Sementi spa, Bergamo, Italy.

From: "Bill Shoemaker" <wshoemak AT inil.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 08:13:36 -0600

Just a comment on the stakes. Many growers are now using 1"x1" wood stakes
of honduran pine. This wood does not rot in the ground. It's very hard so it
hold's up under the pounding very well. I have some that are more than 10
years old and they look like they'll be holding up a lot longer. I believe
they're cheaper than steel and a lot easier to handle. Sourcing them may be
a little difficult but I know they're available from Monte Packaging in
Riverside, Michigan.