market-farming - Re: johnsongrass

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "wiediger" <wiediger AT email.msn.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: johnsongrass
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:51:25 -0600

I think it's pretty difficult if not impossibe to control johnsongrass. The
only effective method we have found is to dig it up w/ a fork after a rain
so as much of the rhizome comes up and then get rid of the rhizome. When we
graze cattle over our market farming land, johnsongrass is not actively
growing so the grazing doesn't hurt it. I have really seen johnsongrass
take over some neighboring fields the last couple of years because of the
summer droughts here in SC Ky. In my experience, discing makes johnsongrass
spread as the disc chops up the rhizomes and turns one large plant into 1
sorta large plant and 20 small ones. I think you could crowd it out w/
small grains along w/ constant mowing, but it would take a long rotation
(3-4 years) and I doubt that it would get it all. But then, I haven't seen
a chemical solution that was 100% effective either. My neighbors spray all
the time and have it much worse than we do. Constant cultivation will keep
it in check. Mulch just shades it and feeds the rhizomes.
In grain field situations, I think custom combining has done more to spread
johnsongrass than any other thing. They harvest it in one field and sow it
in the next.

I also think it's difficult to control deer, especially during drought when
market farm crops are being irrigated. Amazing what all they will eat and
how brave they become when trying to survive. And coyotes only get the sick
and weak. So, no organic answers. Here is one issue that both conventional
and organic growers share and probably attempt to control using the same
methods.

Paul
Paul and Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm