market-farming - Re: johnsongrass

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "wiediger" <wiediger AT email.msn.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: johnsongrass
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 19:18:29 -0600

And, many years ago, I sprayed a field with Round-up, just to see if it
killed it. I figured if it really did get rid of it, it was worth taking
that field out of certification for 3 years just to have it free of Johnson
grass. It killed all the top growth, but within 4 weeks, it was totally
green again. Seeds or rhizomes, really doesn't matter, it was back. Best
guess is, even if it was seedlings, which would need a pre-emergent, the
seedbank is so large, we're stuck with it. Where Johnson grass is thick, we
hay or graze, use a shovel or fork for the rest. And, I agree, Bermuda is
even a worse problem.

Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com

> RoundUp is as close to 100% effective on Johnson Grass as any herbicide
> gets on any target.
>
> Here in Texas, I find Coastal Bermuda to be much more troublesome than
> Johnson Grass because RoundUp is not very effective on Coastal while it
> is VERY effective on Johnson Grass.
>
> --
> Onward! Through the Fog!
> Willie
> http://austinfarm.org/homegrown
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: wiediger AT email.msn.com
leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/market-farming.faq