market-farming - Re: who will farm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lynn Byczynski <growing4market AT earthlink.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: who will farm
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:33:46 -0600

Title: Re: who will farm
I have talked to several farm tax accountants about this question of "needing" to show a profit on your farm lest the IRS declare you a hobby farmer. I've been told that the two of five years (showing profit) is considered a "safe harbor"; that is, the IRS won't question that you have a real farm. But you can still lose money five years in a row; if you get audited, you just need to be able to prove that you were farming in earnest and not as a hobby. I don't know any market farm operation that even vaguely resembles a hobby.
--
Lynn Byczynski
Growing for Market