market-farming - Re: mechanical transplanter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: UGARDEN AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: mechanical transplanter
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:30:33 EST

In a message dated 1/17/01 1:50:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, kampy AT grm.net
writes:

<<
I could drive to Tennessee or Kentucky or Illinois or Indiana or Nebraska
or Kansas or Iowa or south Missouri or even Minnesota, Arkansas or Oklahoma
(you get the picture) with the pickup truck to get one. My poor old knees
ache just thinking about setting out strawberries, especially the right one
that the emu kicked. Not to mention cabbages, tomatoes, peppers - the list
goes on and on. It wouldn't have to be in perfect condition - hubby is
pretty good at resurrecting old farm equipment (just have a look at the
ancient one-row corn picker he got at an auction). However, the less work
to do on it, the better. I just know there is an affordable transplanter
setting in a shed somewhere with my name on it. Please, please, please,
help me find it!

I would be forever grateful.

Marie in North Missouri

I am not sure if this is exactally what you are looking for but I remember
reading in the Johnny's Seed Company newsletter about plans for a home made
planter that looked wonderful. A couple had designed it for the same reason
-- sore knees. It rides above the beds for planting and weeding and is pedal
powered IIRC. It looked very cool. They also used it to pick greens like
spinach, also on the knees. I believe the parts only came to $150 or
thereabouts. Try contacting Johnny;s for back issues. It was no more than 2
years ago that I read this perhaps you could speak to someone who can help
you find it. The newsletter is worth getting they have lots of good ideas for
fresh market farming.

Sue Morris
Universal Garden Community Organic Farm