market-farming - RE: mechanical transplanter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: mechanical transplanter
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:33:32 -0600

We call this type of transplanter a 'drag setter' as opposed to a 'drop
setter'. You actually set the plant into the ground as the shoe cuts the
furrow and the water comes in, then the packer wheels pack it behind you.
It is really terrific for those leggy transplants you sometimes get because
you can put as much of the stem into the furrow as you like. In our area,
if you look into the edge of woods and fence rows, you often see them
abandoned. The reason is that they were pulled behind the power unit
(horses or tractor) rather than being 3-point hitch, and had to be turned
rather than picked up, thence need much more turning room at the end of the
row. We have one I found in a barn that still has the original paint on the
WOODEN plant boxes. I have also used it to transplant by myself - pull
through the field and go back and put plants into the wet spots - but it
works best with 3 people, one driving and two setting. I have seen one that
was converted to 3-point and I think for bare-ground transplanting, it might
be the ideal transplanter for vegetable farmers - could be used even for
garlic sets, onions sets, etc - your imagination is the biggest limit.

Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com