market-farming - Re: Tuffbell

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lynn Byczynski <growing4market AT earthlink.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tuffbell
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:49:35 -0600

Lucy,
A couple of years ago, I did a story about silver Tufbell for growing
lettuce in summer. (June 99, if you go back that far.) The grower I
interviewed said he had some five-year-old pieces but they were getting
ratty.
--
Lynn Byczynski
Growing for Market

> From: Lucy Goodman-Owsley <goodows AT excite.com>
> Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:41:27 -0800 (PST)
> To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Tuffbell
>

>> Does anyone use Tufbell? We are considering buying a few hundred feet of
> it
>> but are still reeling from sticker shock. We read glowing reports from
> those
>> who want to sell this to me. Is there any truth to the reports? Exactly
> how
>> long does it last? Does it rip where wire hoops rub/abraid it (We lose a
> lot
>> of agrofab covers to abrasion rips). Will dogs, deer, cats, careless
> humans
>> rip it up as easily as agrifab? Does it really not cook plants at high
>> temps? Are the specialized (and rather pricy) clips necessary or can we
> use
>> rocks/bricks as we do for rowcovers already. Is it easier, harder or
> about
>> the same to use as other row cover?
>>
>> It is really worth paying 3 to 4 times more for it? We go through 1500'
> of
>> RC a year and hate to throw it out after 2.5 years or so (it takes on
> many
>> incarnation including ghosts before we toss it away)
>> If you use it I want to know how you like the stuff. it seems almost too
>> good to be true-I WANNA BELIEVE! Can I?
>>
>> For those who wonder, Tufbell is a polyvinyl rowcover, not a polyester so
> it
>> is very resistant to UV damage, among other things
>

> Lucy Goodman-Owsley
> Boulder Belt CSA
> New Paris, OH
> Website: http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/boulderbeltcsa
> Organic Farming and Gardening Forum:
> http://www.InsideTheWeb.com/mbs.cgi/mb135705
> Want Social Change? Join a CSA!

> Send a cool gift with your E-Card
> http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as:
> growing4market AT earthlink.net
> leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
> Get the list FAQ at:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/market-farming.faq

  • Tuffbell, Lucy Goodman-Owsley, 01/11/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Tuffbell, Lynn Byczynski, 01/11/2001
    • Re: Tuffbell, jrei, 01/11/2001
    • Re: Tuffbell, Petersons, 01/11/2001