market-farming - Re: Processing questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Processing questions
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:01:24 -0600

I have never found dried cilantro to have much flavor. But since posting
that before lunch I have decided to buy two bunches of cilantro, process
both of them and freeze one with a little lemon juice and the other plain.
In ten days or so we'll defrost both and compare them cooked in a sauce with
a third batch cooked with fresh cilantro. If there isn't much difference I
just might clear out a section of the freezer!

I've not tried cilantro under shade cloth but it usually bolts by the end of
May early June and I think the heat would get to it even with shade cloth.
I know it even bolts when its planted in the shade of very prolific sugar
peas and such and that's the slow-bolt cilantro. On the other hand we have
it for a good eight months and can brush away snow and ice and cut it.

On the garlic press, my husband, Jim, came in for lunch just as I was
comparing my little garlic press with my tortilla press and wondering . . He
immediately picked up on what I was doing and suggested making a real press.
But during the discussion he mentioned the old meat grinders with a plate
that the meat passed through (I guess for hamburger type stuff?). We
wondered if we'd have to stop and clean the plate frequently due to the
peels. What would happen to the peels in the Hobart? We'll let you know
how the "commercial" press works out.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas