market-farming - Processing questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Processing questions
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:11:33 -0600

Since many of you are processing various products for market perhaps you can
answer two questions in regard to our salsa project.

One - I asked the other day about peeling garlic and someone answered by
suggesting a garlic press - which seems almost as slow when given one clove
at a time and we are doing 15 pounds BUT does anyone know of a commercial
size garlic press? Something that would take several bulbs at a time broken
up into cloves. I think that would work.

Two - we can cover all of our produce for the salsa except for cilantro
which, of course, doesn't grow in Kansas in the summer when we have
tomatoes, peppers, etc. Right now we buy organic cilantro from our natural
food store. But cilantro grows like a weed in spring - in fact it's
downright invasive - most of what I sell at market comes from the paths -
seems to be the biggest. Anyway - has anyone ever tried freezing cilantro
and using it later for salsa? We could certainly put away enough for later
if this would work okay. When I make our chimichurri sauce (cilantro pesto)
I freeze what doesn't sell and we eat it ourselves with no apparent
deterioration of flavor. The cilantro may need something like lemon juice
or such in the freezing process, I don't know. I made a pesto base right
before the frost took the rest of the basil and all I did was process the
basil leaves with lemon juice and garlic in a concentrated proportion. Then
when I wanted it for the winter market I defrosted it and mix in the olive
oil, walnuts and parmesan. Voilla - basil pesto in December and it was very
good!

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas