market-farming - Re: vegetables/organic manures

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Peter Worsley <pwors AT svn.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: vegetables/organic manures
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:22:07 -0800

Organic manure is hard to come by unless it is produced on your own
farm. Even worming medicine for horses is carried over into horse
manure. Most certifying agencies specify that no produce to which manure
has been directly applied can be sold for 4 months from date of
application. This theoretically gives time for antibiotics, etc., to
break down. Also, most certifiers specify conditions under which manure
can be composted to break down chemicals more quickly. Most of this has
to do with compost temperature (160 degrees F) and length of time (at
least 6 weeks). Best- Peter